Major League Baseball announced that they are looking for official scorekeepers ahead of the 2023 season. Many fans noticed that this role pays $35 an hour and immediately took interest.
Some teams as of right now are already 'accepting application for all markets' but is actively recruiting for the Boston Red Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Miami Marlins and the Toronto Blue Jays. The scorer will be in charge of announcing all game decisions that involve judgment calls based on Rule 9 of the Official Baseball Rules, 'clarifying scoring rules interpretation to club and media personnel when necessary'.
Some essential functions of the job:
- Arrive at the ballpark no later than 60 minutes prior to the scheduled start time.
- Collect rosters and other applicable information, test press box microphone and be set up before first pitch.
- Keep a detailed scorecard of the game, focusing on every pitch and play.
- Make announcements as expected of the Official Scorer (i.e. time of first pitch, individual pitching lines, Official Review times, fielding credits, winning and losing pitchers, etc.). For plays requiring judgment calls, first inform the MLB Stringer, then announce via mic to press box personnel.
- Coordinate approval of the official post-game report with the MLB Stringer prior to its transmission to the MLB statistician.
The individual will also have to give their approval to every single official game report involving the four hiring teams and will have to transmit them to MLB's Official Statisticians.
Are you ready to take on this role?
Photo: Getty Images