On Tuesday, former Houston Astros pitcher Mike Fiers has accused the team of using cameras and televisions to steal signs. In an interview with The Athletic, the current A's pitcher said that signs are relayed electronically and that it's had a negative effect on young pitchers that played them in the 2017 season.
"I just want the game to be cleaned up a little bit because there are guys who are losing their jobs because they're going in there not knowing," Fiers said. "Young guys getting hit around in the first couple of innings starting a game, and then they get sent down. It's [B.S.] on that end. It's ruining jobs for younger guys. The guys who know are more prepared. But most people don't. That's why I told my team. We had a lot of young guys with Detroit [in 2018] trying to make a name and establish themselves. I wanted to help them out and say, 'Hey, this stuff really does go on. Just be prepared.'"
The Astros have since then responded to all the allegations regarding the story that came out in the Athletic.
"Regarding the story posted by The Athletic earlier today, the Houston Astros organization has begun an investigation in cooperation with Major League Baseball," the organization shared in a statement. "It would not be appropriate to comment further on this matter at this time."
Yesterday, several reporters caught up with Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman to talk to talk about this upcoming offseason and also to get his thoughts on the story that came out by the athletic.
Yea, I mean, there is a lot going into it. I know during the playoffs, our advance team that was on Houston talked about it. There was just a lot of speculation at the time about it. And I think we were way better combatting that stuff in subsequent years than we were that yea. Just not really appreciating steps that people could take. But we certainly did not know anything definitive at the time.
Photo: Getty Images